Tuesday 25 October 2016

An Exercise in Empathy

2009/2/15 (Ethiopian calendar)
2016/10/25 (European calendar)

(pdf)

[Note: An Amharic version of this post will appear sometime!]

In the next few posts, I will attempt, just attempt, an exercise in empathy. I will try and put myself in the shoes of Ethiopia's various political groups and constituencies and describe the truth about Ethiopian politics how they see it – from their perspective. I will start with either Oromo ethnic nationalists or the EPRDF, or maybe just the TPLF. And I'll keep going as much as I can.

Why this exercise? I'll first answer from within the 'conflict resolution' paradigm. Empathy – trying to grasp the point of view, the feelings, the thoughts, etc of others – is an important tool, perhaps the most important, in conflict resolution. The idea is that if you can empathize, you can communicate better, that is you can communicate in a way that your opponents can understand, and of course you can better envision solutions that your opponents can accept. Empathy also builds trust and understanding, which needless to say are important for living together peacefully.

Second, as this blog is written from an Orthodox Christian perspective, I'll explain from this point of view as well. Empathy is basic Christianity. Our fundamental belief is that Christ came and died for us out of compassion – to share our suffering and redeem it. This is similar to empathy, but greater, as it involves not only sharing the Other's experience, but doing so with the hope of bring about something better. Further, avoiding judgement is a basic teaching of the Church. “To judge sins is the business of one who is sinless, but who is sinless except God?... To judge a man who has gone astray is a sign of pride, and God resists the proud.” says St Dorotheus of Gaza. So, following Christ's example of compassion and his command not to judge, a Christian as a matter of course must try to be empathetic.

I hope my little exercise will help shed some light on solutions for Ethiopia's problems. So, I'll give it a try over my next few articles. Your feedback as always is much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ለሀሳብዎ አመሰግናለሁ!